Digital-first banks aim to make banking faster, smarter, and cheaper. Our graphic visualizes the 10 most highly valued challenger banks worldwide.
Digital-first challenger banks are employing mobile apps, APIs, software integrations, and more to recreate the consumer banking experience.
Challenger banks have sparked substantial investor interest, receiving a record $5.3B in equity funding across 138 deals in 2019.
Using CB Insights data, our graphic visualizes the 10 most valuable challenger banks worldwide.
Our analysis includes venture-backed, privately held companies only. Data is as of 8/25/20. Please click to enlarge.
- These top 10 challenger banks represent 5 countries across 3 continents. Notably, Europe’s open banking regulations gave rise to the first wave of challenger banks, which includes England-based Revolut and Germany-based N26.
- Latin America has increasingly invited fintech innovation, nurturing challenger banks like Brazil-based Nubank and Argentina-based Uala — both of which are included in our market map of 180+ fintech companies shaping the region.
- 6 of the 10 companies in our graphic have raised funding in 2020 so far. This has included 4 mega-rounds (deals worth $100M+).
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity . LINK